BCARS - Be alongside rough sleepers at every stage on their journey – on and off the streets
BCARS (Bournemouth Christians Alongside Rough Sleepers)
aim to work alongside rough sleepers in their journey to get off the streets, remain off the streets and have a better future. BCARS is run by Faithworks Wessex - a local charity helping people get out of crisis and isolation, inspiring Hope-filled lives. We are a small charity with a big heart!
Here at BCARS we recognise that the journey from the street to realistically not returning to the streets can take about 2 years. For some this is less, for some they may need support for even longer. We have multiple projects aimed at helping people get off the streets as well as stay off the streets
- Helpline - helping rough sleepers and those in temporary accommodation to access support and services available locally.
- Half Time - supporting those in temporary accommodation with practical needs
- The Storehouse - offering practical help to those who have come off the streets
Why the community needs us
- Staysafe - day-time provision for ex-rough sleepers who want to be active, part of a team, and feel that they have purpose.
- Training Centre - helping ex-rough sleepers to access training, certificates and courses, including gardening and woodworking skills.
- Doorstop Shop - an online shop with a real shop window and cafe, featuring wooden products created by our trainees as well as donated items. All the profits go into helping ex-rough sleepers start a new life.
BCARS realise that we are all on a journey and for those who find themselves on the street its usually through a whole series of events or circumstance that have occurred in their past that have contributed to where they are now. Some of this has been through poor decisions or mistakes they have made or quite often circumstances out of their control such as bereavement, poor health, or family breakdown for example. Either way no matter whatever their past or the reasons, we know they have a great future if they can have some help along the way and have support off the streets.
Our impact on the community
In the last year BCARS has made such a difference to the rough sleeping community. Half-time has supported over 200 rough sleepers with 100 showers taken, 60+ clothing packs handed out, 100+ mobiles charged, 30 birth certificates ordered, 15 passports organised and 25 people helped off the streets. Sleepsafe hosted 61 guests, provided 1500 meals, with 76% of guests moved into accommodation, all made possible with the help of 344 volunteers and 25 churches. 2nd Half: Training has worked with 11 trainees and 2 have moved into employment. 2nd Half: Buddies have supported 7 people assisting with reconnecting families, hospital visits, completing benefit forms and moving into accommodation, as well as hosting walks, bbq's and games evenings. All of this is only possible with your support!
1) Team member at our new Staysafe facility - offering Purpose, Activity and Friendship for those who are coming off the streets. 2) Team member for our training offer including gardening and wood-working skills. 3) Team member for our Doorstop Shop & Cafe on Saturdays 9 am til 12 pm (online shop featuring products made by ex-rough sleepers as well as donations) with all profits go into helping ex-rough sleepers start a new life.