Supporting and Informing the family and friends of people who use drugs / alcohol or are problematic
Parent Support Link (PSL)
works with parents, partners, friends, brothers and sisters, anybody who is being affected by someone else’s substance misuse or problematic gambling. We have found that there is plenty of support for those using drugs /alcohol if they choose to use it. However, support for those being directly affected by the behaviour of the substance misuser has, historically, been overlooked, despite the trauma and stigma associated with this. The Charity, established in 1994, focuses on adult (18 years and over)members of the community who are adversely affected by the behaviours their loved ones can display. We work with individual family members, couples and whole family groups, that can, when appropriate, include the substance user or the problematic gambler. We actively welcome people from all ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation and levels of ability etc. in line with our Welcoming Diversity Strategy.PSL is a unique and innovative organisation which has developed over time by
- · Being in constant consultation with those who use the services provided by the Charity
- · Taking a strategic approach to the management and governance of the Charity and responding to local and national policy changes.
- · Ensuring that everyone concerned with delivering the services is trained, supported and well-supervised It can be difficult for families, partners, and carers to talk to immediate family or close friends simply because they may feel embarrassed or ashamed that someone close to them is involved in drugs and alcohol or any of the broader implications that illegal drug use can bring. This means that people become isolated, lose their social connections and confidence and often their mental and physical health is adversely impacted. PSL is unique in that it is a small charity with experienced, professional staff and volunteers who work in a variety of ways to support families cope with their situation with the aim of connecting them back to their communities and ultimately healing their pain.PSL offers:·
- A confidential 24/7 non-judgemental listening service·
- Emotional support over the longer term·
- Secure space and peer support·
- Complementary therapies plus health and wellbeing workshops ·
- Drugs information·
- A chance to find out what other help is availablePSL is based in Southampton and works with families throughout Hampshire. We work in partnership with drug and alcohol service providers but always remain true to our mission of putting the families of people with addiction or substance misuse at the heart of the service. These families are often marginalised and isolated due to the stigma associated with drug abuse, through PSL they find hope and connections back into society.
All volunteers undertake our inhouse induction training.
We would like to raise funds and raise awareness of the work we do, so people who have these skills already in place are very welcome to make contact.
Look forward to hearing from you soon