VFP aims to bring the Vietnamese community together and help them thrive in wider British society
VFP is a London-based charity that aims to bring the Vietnamese community together. We believe that we are stronger together and that understanding our cultural identity is key to fulfilling our life potential. We provide three services:
Why the community needs us
- Vietnamese language lessons and cultural events to provide cultural education and help people to connect with their Vietnamese identity and families
- A support and advice centre to provide the community with support and advice and help them thrive in wider society
- Events to build a stronger sense of community and visibility in wider society, such as our flagship Lunar New Year event
Many Vietnamese people in London are isolated and excluded from participation in many aspects of day to day life in the community. Most of our young people and their families have difficulty accessing services because they face a great barrier of language and cultural unfamiliarities. Our summer schemes and other projects have been very enthusiastically received, filling some of the lack of suitable activities and helping families engage with available services.
Our vision is a strong, connected Vietnamese community where children, young adults, elders and families are empowered to thrive in wider British society
. Our impact on the community
- Since becoming a Charitable Incorporated Organisation in May 2019, Vietnamese Family Partnerships main focus has been developing the strategy of the charity, recruiting a complemented Board of Trustees and continuing to serve our service users. Our main activities last year are as following:
Vietnamese Language and Culture classes for a total of 80 children and adults since September , every Sunday. We also offered health lifestyle activities such as table tennis and cooking workshops. This helps families deal with inter-generational conflicts arising from cultural isolation. Our children and young people feel more confident about themselves by sharing their experience with their peers.
- Two successful annual community events: the Moon Festival and New Year Celebration which attracted over two thousand people to learn and celebrate Vietnamese cultural events. Created a parenting support group led by volunteers.
- Language support for over 20 local people to obtain the certificates in the Food Hygiene and Safety for Caterers (level 2 courses), which equipped them with the knowledge and skills to get employment in the food industry.
- We organised a residential weekend away to Macaroni Wood, Cirencester, for 35 children and parents. This allowed parents and heir children a chance to e[plore a different part of the UK and immerse themselves into British culture. They also undertook activities which built their self-confidence, team working skills and to further strengthened their dual identity of being both British and Vietnamese (through partaking in a talent show).
Why we need donations
As a new charity, we have a big aspirations and are growing fast. We're looking to receive donations to enable us to expand our services and better achieve our goal of connecting the Vietnamese community. Your donations will be used in the following ways:
- Expanding the various services (e.g. more students for the school, more hours/support workers for the support service) to better serve the Vietnamese community
- Raising the scope and scale of our community events
- Launching new initiatives that align to our mission and vision
We need volunteers who have skills and knowledge in marketing, fundraising to assist our management committee.