100% secure donations
Donations are processed safely and securely through our accredited payment providers. We claim Gift Aid on your behalf and automatically transfer funds to your bank account.
Regular match funds
We run match fund campaigns every two to three months to help you raise more donations for your cause. We have distributed over £3m of match funding to members since 2011.
Understand the impact of your fundraising with detailed finance and marketing reports. Collect donor details, communicate with supporters and cultivate long-term relationships.
Our team of certified fundraisers provides free help, support and fundraising advice via phone, email and social media. Get in touch anytime from 9.30am - 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Are you eligible to join Localgiving?
If the following 3 statements apply to your group, then please continue and create your account now.
"We operate on local / regional community initiatives and are not a national charity"
Localgiving's mission is to support small, locally focused charities and community groups. As such, all organisations who are members of Localgiving must be for the benefit of a local or regional community and cannot use the platform to raise funds for national or international projects. If an organisation operates at a local / regional level, but is part of a wider national body, it can still register with Localgiving providing it has a level of autonomy for the services it provides and meets all other criteria.
"We have a UK bank account in the name of the group"
To join Localgiving, your group must have a UK bank account in the name of the organisation and not an individual. The bank account must have at least two signatories on the bank mandate. Unfortunately, we cannot accept building society accounts that use a roll number.
"Our charitable aims are not solely for the advancement of religion"
Localgiving is not able to work with organisations that proselytise a particular religion. Localgiving understands that faith groups are a very important part of the local community and voluntary sector. Faith groups are able to join Localgiving, provided that they are providing services open to the community and do not intend to use funds raised through Localgiving for the advancement of religion.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have other questions about joining Localgiving, please don't hesitate to give us a call on 0300 111 2340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help!
Lots of types of groups are eligible to join Localgiving including unregistered groups, charities that are registered with The Charity Commission, The Charity Commission of Northern Ireland, and OSCR, CASCs, CICs, CIOs.
In order to be eligible for Localgiving memberships we ask that your group:
- Operates on local / regional community initiatives and is not a national or international charity
- Has a UK bank account in the name of your group
- Has charitable aims that are not solely for the advancement of religion
If you meet these criteria, please click here to start registering your group with Localgiving now.
Still not sure? Please feel free to contact our help desk on 0300 111 2340 if you'd like to discuss your eligibility over the phone.
Membership of Localgiving is £96 a year.
We use this income to help us to continue developing our products and improving our service for local groups.
Some of the work we undertake includes:
- Enhancements and new features to make online fundraising easier
- Validation of charities and community groups so donors can give with confidence
- Processing of Gift Aid, even for groups not registered with the Charity Commission, OSCR or The Charity Commission Northern Ireland
- Training guides and local training workshops so charities can learn how to fundraise online, use social media and promote themselves locally
- Local and national match funding campaigns
If you're a fundraiser who is planning a sponsored event for your favourite group, signing up is completely free!
Localgiving is the only online giving platform that allows unregistered charities and community groups to benefit from Gift Aid.
We facilitate this through a unique donation journey, where donations are made to one of our partner Foundations, before being passed on as an unrestricted charitable grant to the group in question.
Here's a simple step-by-step guide to how it works:
1. A person decides to make a donation to a group registered on Localgiving. When they go to the donation page, they will see text displayed that explains the donation is being made to a Foundation on behalf of the group: "Your donation is made to Localgiving Foundation and they pay the funds to your chosen charity"
2. The donor chooses the amount that they would like to donate and makes their payment. They are then asked if they would like to claim Gift Aid. If so, they provide the relevant details and Localgiving then processes the Gift Aid claim with HMRC on behalf of the relevant Foundation.
3. The donation is processed by Localgiving, subject to payment processing and commission fees. Localgiving transfers the remaining amount, before Gift Aid (including match funding, where applicable), to the group as a charitable grant. This is done on behalf of the Foundation. Funds typically reach the charity's bank account within 2 - 3 weeks.
4. HMRC processes the Gift Aid claim. A 5% fee is deducted from the total Gift Aid amount, and the rest is passed onto the group on behalf of the Foundation, as a charitable grant. This typically takes around 6 weeks to reach the charity's bank account.
1.0% + 10p is the fee for UK debit cards, please note that charges vary depending on the payment method.
All charities and community organisations on Localgiving are subject to a thorough validation process.We do this to ensure that any donation made through Localgiving is going to a legitimate charitable cause.
Our validation process involves a number of security checks to determine that, in addition to meeting eligibility criteria, the charity or community organisation is:
- A legitimate entity with clear charitable aims and objectives
- Not engaged in any fraudulent activity
- Operated by suitable parties
- Has a local constitution and bank account and can guarantee the money will be spent locally
Validation is an important part of our commitment to provide local communities with a trusted source of bona fide local charities that work toward genuinely charitable aims. The goal of our validation process is to provide supporters with peace of mind, enabling everyone to give with confidence.
Upon registration with Localgiving, charities and community organisations are sent a form to fill out, which tells us what they do, where and how they operate. Additionally, we work closely with selected Community Foundations partner and charity regulators, including the Charity Commission and Companies House, so we can confidently verify the authenticity of an organisation, its management, finances and objectives.
Charities and community organisations are also required to undergo revalidation each year they remain on Localgiving to ensure they are still in operation and remain eligible.
For more information about validation, please contact our Validation Team: email@example.com