What are Magic Little Grants?
- Magic Little Grants are small unrestricted grants that go towards helping local charities and community groups to continue their vital work.
- Foundations and other grantmakers simply select the types of groups they’d like to support and make a single transaction of the total grant sum. The funding is then automatically distributed to their chosen charities.
- Charities do not have to apply for the grants. The funds simply appear in their bank account - as if by magic!
What are the benefits?
- Magic Little Grants provide a quick, easy and cost-effective way for foundations to select and make small grants to hundreds of pre-validated local charities.
- They enable grantmakers to support micro-charities that are currently under the radar, thus helping to reduce the funding gap between small and large charities.
- Not only that, but they save small charities from having to spend valuable time on lengthy grant application forms - enabling them to focus resources on serving their beneficiaries.
How does it work?
The process to distribute funding via Magic Little Grants is simple.
1. The grantmaker specifies the total amount of funding and the types of groups they would like to support. Groups can be filtered by:
2. Localgiving provides a list of eligible groups from its membership base for the grantmaker’s approval.
3. The grantmaker approves the final list of charities and transfers the funding to Localgiving.
4. Localgiving then distributes the funding amongst the selected charities, transferring the money directly into their bank accounts. Charities are informed that they have received a Magic Little Grant from the funder.
5. Each charity is prompted to complete a simple impact measurement form 6 months after the grant is made. Charities that complete the form then become eligible to receive future funding via the Magic Little Grants programme.
- Localgiving is currently piloting the Magic Little Grants programme with a number of partner foundations in order to prove the concept.
- We then plan to engage with more grantmakers to increase support for local organisations with small grants.
- The next stage will be to develop a self-service portal for grantmakers. This will enable funders to easily filter and choose groups of their own accord.
If you're a foundation or other grantmaker interested in supporting small local charities via Magic Little Grants, then please get in touch! We're currently seeking more partners to help us pilot the programme.
Contact us at: email@example.com or on 0300 111 2340.