The Winter Night Shelter Milton Keynes is now a year-round charity helping many different people at their point of crisis.
- rough sleepers;
- sofa surfers;
- people in emergency accommodation or temporary housing;
- those who need support with their tenancies;
- anyone at risk of homelessness; and
- others who are vulnerable.
We meet with people to assess their needs and put a personal support package in place to help them get to a place of stability and move forwards in life. We provide:
- assessments and support from a dedicated welfare team
- practical provision including food, clothing, sleeping bags, access to showers and laundry facilities
- administrative support to access ID, eligible benefits and entitlements
- help to find longer-term accommodation and employment pathways
- well-being and mental health support including referrals to professional services such as medical and dental care, addiction counsellors and support groups
- a Community Club that provides a free café and supportive social space to find connection and combat isolation
- emergency winter accommodation from November–March (subject to government restrictions).We deliver our services thanks to an army of local volunteers who make it possible. We also work in partnership with the local authority, with local churches who provide their facilities as an overnight venue in winter, and partners in the sector to coordinate services and deliver the best outcomes for the individuals we help.