Encouraging support for local charities
The UK is a nation of givers. In fact, 74% of us say we regularly donate to charity. But did you know that just 7% of those donations go to small charities?
- The aim of our Incentivised Giving Programme is to encourage more people to fundraise for and give to local charities and community groups.
- The idea of incentivised giving is that financial incentives can be used to augment the value of donations and motivate people to donate or increase the value of their donation to charitable causes.
- The programme consists of a calendar of fundraising campaigns, each with different types of incentives, designed to appeal to different groups and supporters.
Find out more
- Local charities and community groups provide front-line services and social support to millions of people every day.
- Linked into the needs of their communities, they excel at using funding to deliver services where they are needed most.
- Many groups now face financial crisis in the wake of funding cuts, just as demand for their services is increasing.
- The average online donation is worth 2x the average offline donation (£30 vs £15).
- Every £1 invested in online fundraising typically raises £10 of funding to directly benefit the charity.
- Strong relationships between local charities and people in the community facilitate support, both financial and otherwise.
- Online fundraising provides the opportunity for groups to engage with local people in a way that is time and cost-effective.
- Localgiving’s incentivised giving programme encourages online giving to local charities by providing financial incentives to augment the value of donations.
To raise awareness of local charities and community groups amongst the UK public and encourage online donations and fundraising to support these organisations.
Increase digital inclusion
To increase digital inclusion amongst local charities and support them to use online technology to build two-way relationships with people in their community and secure regular financial support.
Leverage giving for funders
To provide a highly cost-effective, leveraged mechanism for funders to distribute money into hundreds of community-focused local charities with a single transaction.
Encourage local charities to work together
To give the smallest local groups the opportunity to take part in regular national fundraising initiatives, work together and benefit from the associated amplification effect.
Develop practical online fundraising skills
To provide online fundraising campaign materials, guides and advice to help groups raise more money and develop practical digital experience for their staff and volunteers.
Conduct research into incentivised giving
To conduct practical research into the psychology of incentivised giving, with a view to identifying the most effective mechanisms to encourage support across different donor and charity demographics.
Promote a culture of financial sustainability
To provide a way for funders to promote a culture of digital inclusion and financial sustainability for voluntary organisations.
The programme consists of a number of online fundraising campaigns of various types run throughout the year. Each campaign utilises a financial incentive to help local charities secure donations online.
The key elements of the programme include:
Incentivised Giving Campaign Models
Localgiving’s incentivised giving programme includes the following campaign models:
- Deterministic match funds: all donations are guaranteed to be matched, subject to the donation meeting the terms of the campaign. Example campaign: Grow Your Tenner
- Randomised match funds: a donation may or may not be matched according to predetermined or random criteria. Example campaign: #GiveMe5
- Competitions: prizes are awarded to the “best performing” fundraisers or charities. Example campaign: Local Hero
- Step-by-step guides
- Customisable, print-at-home posters
- Press release and email templates
- One-click social shares
- Web banners and buttons
- Competitions for groups and fundraisers
- Random chance matches
- Centralised national campaigns, amplified regionally by groups across the country
- Campaign-specific hashtags
- Social media support
- Co-ordinated local press engagement
Through the use of these mechanisms, the programme has proven to be highly successful with funders, online donors and local groups alike. A typical campaign sees:
- The initial funding leveraged to raise over 5x its amount
- 4 out of 5 donors strongly influenced to donate by the prospect of match funding
- 8 out of 10 groups attracting new donors
- Hundreds of groups developing practical fundraising experience
Support our work
If you're interested in helping us to make an even bigger difference, we'd love to hear from you.
Like many of the thousands of groups we work with, Localgiving is also working towards sustainability. By diversifying our income sources to include earned income, grants and generous donations from philanthropists, corporates and other funders, our hope is that we can continue to serve the local voluntary sector long into the future.
How you can help: